Well it’s national yoga month, nothing like a good yoga movie to get you in the mood and add some inspiration and spice to your life. You don’t have to know much about yoga to enjoy them. Here is my line up.
1) Yoga Woman; I had to put this at the top of the list because I went to the world premiere here in Wellington, my home town. The theater was packed with yoga people. Not much junk food was being eaten. The doco is made by a Wellington woman and goes around the world interviewing some of the more famous yoga teachers.
2) Enlighten Up; I enjoyed this story of one man’s journey to understand yoga. The premise is to take one ordinary dude and transform him through a variety of yoga practices.
3) Yoga Inc; Takes a look at the business behind the yoga dollar. And boy is it good business!
4) Y yoga; The documentary is an invitation to a better life. This is accomplished through an exploration of why people practice yoga and how it changes them.
5) Practice DVD; I love Erich Schiffmann the big bear of a yoga teacher. Here he teams up with Ali McGraw a celebrity who actually practices yoga seriously. I love how they all emerge out of the desert. Get a copy of Yoga Mind and Body, or borrow mine.
6) I haven’t watched Why we breathe I found it while I was doing some research. Here is the link to watch it for free, just because they are nice generous folks. All the top names on this one.
7) Not strictly a yoga movie but it’s about a kiwi and if you want to watch a movie about free diving and pranayama ( breath control) then this is for you. Breathe follows New Zealander, William Trubridge as he attempts to break his own world record in the extreme sport of Freediving. William attempts to dive completely unaided to a depth of 300ft, almost to the bottom of the deepest blue hole in the world – “Dean’s Blue Hole” in the Bahamas. Also has nice shots of yoga girlfriend in the documentary.